Though many people think of freckles as being cute or charming, those who have them to a large degree or who have lived with them for a long time may not feel the same way. Though freckles are benign, meaning they don’t actually cause any harm, many people who have them all over their body or in highly visible areas such as their face, their arms, their back and their chest, are very motivated to get rid of freckles, thinking that they mar their appearance.
Methods Used To Get Rid Of Freckles
There are a number of different methods that people have used over the years to get rid of freckles. Some are actual medical treatments that are provided by dermatologists; others are home remedies. Here are some of the most frequently discussed methods, and reviews of whether they are appropriate or not:
- Lasers are one of the most effective methods of removing freckles. A dermatologist will pass a laser wave over the skin and the laser literally breaks up the melanin. The procedure is relatively painless and has very few side effects.
- RetinaA is a brand name of a prescription medication called a retinoid; it contains Vitamin A which is known to help in evening out skin tone and fading out freckles when used over a long period of time. Sometimes retinoids can cause redness of the skin, so care needs to be used.
- Cryosurgery is commonly mentioned when discussing freckle removal, but it is not considered to be a good method. In cryosurgery liquid nitrogen is put onto a lesion that needs to be removed, and then after the skin has frozen it is peeled off. Because freckles are so small and there are generally so many in patients that are seeking their removal, cryosurgery is not a good choice.
Reduce The Appearance Of Freckles
- Hydroquinone is a medication that is available over the counter or by prescription; the difference between the two types lies in its strength. It has been found to reduce the appearance of freckles and other skin pigmentations, especially when used in combination with retinoids. It is also substantially less expensive than the use of lasers.
- Bleaching creams and lemon juice have both been said to work to fade freckles, but because they also bleach the skin that the freckles appear in, it often simply makes everything lighter and changes the rest of your skin color.
Staying out of the sun is one of the top methods of getting rid of freckles for those whose freckles have been caused by sun exposure.